Set up Options/Variations
A simple step-by-step walk-through with explanations detailing how to add options to your product choices in your Freewebstore Control Panel.
You can add an option to your products for absolutely anything, from color to how many letters appear on a card.
Adding various options to your products can seem complicated. So, here, we will walk you through the process of creating size and color options as examples of how to configure your options correctly.
- 1.Login to your Freewebstore Control Panel.
- 2.Go to Manage > Products > List All Products.
- 3.Scroll down the page until you see a panel labeled Options/Variations and expand the panel.
- 4.Click Add Product Option.
- 5.Click Begin.
You will now see a new window labeled Option Edit:
- 1.Name your option, in this case, we will name the first option Size. Enter Size in the Name field.
- 2.If you want to force your customer to choose a size option, we will need to check the Required box. The size of a product is something we will need to know, so we know the right size product to send to our customers. So in this case, you will need to check the Required box.
- 3.Now, in the Options field, enter every size you wish to offer. So, for this example, we are going to add the sizes, small, medium, large and extra-large. After entering each option, you will need to click the "+" icon.
- 4.Every time you click the "+" icon, you will notice a new row appear beneath with more information to edit.
We will now go through and set up the new variations of our Size option.
- 1.Default Option - This checkbox allows us to set which variation is set to default, as we want the customer to knowingly choose a size, we will leave this checkbox checked as No Default. This way, if a customer fails to choose a size variation of your product, when they click Add to cart it will not allow them and prompt them to choose an option from the dropdown menu.
- 2.Name - If you would like to change the name of your option, simply edit the name in this field.
- 3.Cost - This field allows you to add a cost to the base/original price of the item. For example, the base cost of your product is $40, but for this product in Medium, will cost $50. So in the cost field of the Medium row, you need to specify that this option is going to cost your customer an extra $10. So you will need to enter 10 to this field. Now add an extra cost to each of your variations (if required).
- 4.Weight - Now we come to weight. This works the same as the Cost field. Add to the weight of your base product. For example, your base product weighs 700g, as the product gets bigger, it is going to weigh more. Medium might weigh 50g more, Large might be 100g more and Extra-Large may weigh 200g more. Any extra weight will need to be added here so that when your customers select a variation, the weight of your base product is increased or decreased accordingly.
Once you are happy with everything that you have entered, click Confirm and then click the Save button in the top right-hand corner of your page.
A good practice to adopt after changing something like this on your store is to go and test if it works as you would expect on your live store.
- 1.Click the Hey, [your name here] button in the top right corner of your screen and select Preview Store in the dropdown menu.
- 2.Go to the product you added the options for.
- 3.You should now see a dropdown select box on this page labeled Size* ( '*' means that this is a required selection).
- 4.To start testing, check the Required functionality and try adding it to your cart without changing anything or making a selection. You should see an Unable To Add To Cart window appear. This means that it worked.
- 5.Click the dropdown selector and make sure that it displays the correct added cost next to each variation.
- 6.Click each variation, in turn, to ensure that the base price changes to the correct amount under the product name.
- 7.If they all work. you will have successfully added a Size option to your products.