Assigning a Primary Domain
A step-by-step guide with explanations detailing how to assign a primary domain for your online store from within your Freewebstore control panel.
When you have multiple domain names attached to your Freewebstore, your primary domain is the web address that your customers are directed to.
Your other, secondary domains, act as redirects. This means that if any potential customers use any of your secondary domains to access your online store, they will be redirected to your primary domain. Your primary domain is your home domain, it is where your online store lives.
So, for example, my current primary domain is 'www.freewebstore.com', but I want to change my new domain 'www.freewebstorerocks.com' to be my primary domain. I follow the instructions below and make 'www.freewebstorerocks.com' my new primary domain. This means that when my customers visit 'www.freewebstore.com' they will now be redirected to 'www.freewebstorerocks.com' instead.
To select any of your domains to be your primary domain:
- 1.Log in to your control panel.
- 2.Go to the Marketing > Domain Names section.
- 3.You should now see the domains listed that you have connected to your store. Locate the domain you wish to make your primary domain and hover/click the actions button.
- 4.The Make Primary Domain option should be visible at the top of the dropdown menu that appears. Select this option.
- 5.You will be shown a short warning message as shown in figure 1 below. If you are happy to proceed, click Confirm Make Primary.
You should then see that your selected primary domain will jump to the top of the list and a message of SSL pending will be visible. Attaching your SSL to your new domain can take up to 48 hours to complete. If you have any issues after this time, please get in touch with our friendly support team.